- Photograph by Lawrence Willard, 1955
- Robert and Elinor Frost
at Plymouth, New Hampshire, 1911
- The Frost children at
Plymouth, New Hampshire1911. (Lesley, Carol, Marjorie, Irma)
- Family photos courtesy
of Lesley Lee Francis
- Frost in Franconia, N.
- Photo Courtesy of Jones
- Photograph c. 1936 by
A. Allyn Bishop, Newport, Vermont
- Gift of Elizabeth Nutter
- Frost's chronology
has been divided into categories below
- based on significant
aspects of his life. Click on the categories:
3-26-74 Birth of Robert Lee Frost, San Francisco, Cal.
6-25-76 Birth of Jeanie Frost (sister)
5-5-1885 Death of father, Will Frost, in San Francisco.
Family returns to Lawrence, Mass. for burial.
Sept, 1888 Robert enters Lawrence High School
May, 1890 Robert writes his first poem La Noche Triste
June, 1892 Robert graduates from Lawrence High School
sharing valedictorian honors with Elinor White.
Sept., 1892 Enters Dartmouth. Leaves before end of term.
1893 - 1894 Teaches in local schools. Works in the mills.
11-8-94 First poem published: "My Butterfly: An Elegy"
1895 Works as a reporter, teaches school.
12-19-95 Marries Elinor Miriam White in Lawrence.
9-25-96 First child, Elliott, born to Rob and Elinor.
Sept., 1897 Enters Harvard University.
3-31-1899 Leaves Harvard. Returns to Lawrence.
4-28-1899 Second child, daughter Lesley born.
7-8-1900 First child, Elliott dies.
Oct., 1900 Frost family moves to farm, Derry, N. H.
11-2-1900 Frost's mother, Isabelle, dies of cancer.
5-27-1902 Third child, son Carol born.
6-27-1903 Fourth child, daughter Irma born.
3-29-1905 Fifth child, daughter Marjorie born.
6-18-1907 Sixth child, Elinor Bettina born -dies within days.
11-16-1911 Sells Derry Farm. Lives in Plymouth, N. H. and
teaches at N. H. State Normal School.
Sept., 1912 The Frost family sails for England.
10-26-1912 First book of poetry accepted by publisher.
5-15-1914 Second book published
2-13-1915 The Frost family returns to the U. S. Buys farm in
Franconia, N. H.
Oct., 1920 Moves to Shaftsbury, Vermont, buys the
Dec., 1928 Buys second farm, The Gulley in Shaftsbury.
9-7-1929 Sister Jeanie, dies.
5-2-1934 Daughter Marjorie dies following childbirth.
3-20-1938 Wife, Elinor dies of a heart attack in Florida.
Summer, 1938 Frost rents apartment in Boston.
Sept., 1939 Frost buys The Homer Noble Farm, Ripton, Vt
to use as a summer residence.
Oct 9, 1940 Son Carol dies of suicide in Shaftsbury.
Spring, 1941 Frost buys home in Cambridge, Mass
1-29-1963 Frost dies in Boston. Burial in Bennington
- April, 1913
- May, 1914
- Feb, 1915
- April, 1915
- Nov, 1916
- Mar, 1923
- Nov, 1923
- Nov, 1928
- Nov, 1930
- May, 1936
- Feb, 1939
- April, 1942
- Mar, 1945
- May, 1947
- Sept, 1947
- April, 1949
- Mar, 1962
- A Boy's Will, English edition
- North of Boston, English edition
- North of Boston, American edition
- A Boy's Will, American edition
- Mountain Interval
- Selected Poems
- New Hampshire
- West-running Brook
- Collected Poems
- A Further Range
- Collected Poems
- A Witness Tree
- A Masque of Reason
- Steeple Bush
- A Masque of Mercy
- Complete Poems
- In the Clearing
- High School: Co-Valedictorian &
- Hood Prize for Scholastic Excellence
- Phi Beta Kappa Poet: Tufts, 1915
- Harvard, 1916
- Columbia, 1932
- Tufts, 1940
- Harvard, 1941
- College of William and Mary, 1941
- Member National Institute of Arts and Letters, 1916
- Member American Academy of Arts and Letters, 1930
- Hon. Member St. Botolph Club, Boston, 1932
- Charles Eliot Norton Professor of Poetry, Harvard 1936
- Member American Philosophical Society, 1937
- Board of Overseers, Harvard College, 1938
- Ralph Waldo Emerson Fellow in Poetry, Harvard 1939
- Associate of Adams House, Harvard Univ. 1939.
- Life appointment, Simpson Lecturer in Literature. Amherst,
- Consultant in Poetry in the Library of Congress 1958-59.
- Inaugural Poet for President John F. Kennedy, 1961
- Poet Laureate of Vermont, 1961
Pulitzer Prize for Poetry in the following years:
- 1923 New Hampshire
- 1931 Collected Poems
- 1937 A Further Range
- 1943 A Witness Tree
- Russell Loines Poetry Prize, 1931
- Gold Medal for Poetry, National Institute of Arts and Letters,
- Gold Medal, Poetry Society of America, 1941.
- Gold Medal, Limited Editions Club, 1949
- Award, Academy of American Poets, 1953
- First Annual Poetry Award, Boston Arts Festival, 1954
- Medal for Distinguished Service in the Fields of Am. Literature,
Theodore Roosevelt Society, 1954
- Medal of Honor, New York University 1956
- Gold Medal, Holland Society of New York, 1957
- Gold Medal for Distinguished Service, Poetry Society of America,
- Medal for Achievements in the Arts, Signet Society, Harvard
- Emerson-Thoreau Medal, American Academy of Arts and Sciences,
- Huntington Hartford Foundation Award, 1958
- Congressional Gold Medal, 1960
- Edward MacDowell Medal, 1962
- Congressional Medal presented by Pres.
- J. F. Kennedy, 1962
- Bollingen Prize in Poetry, 1963
- Honorary Degrees
- M. A. Amherst, 1918
- M. A.University of Michigan.1922
- L.H.D. University of Vermont 1923
- Litt. D. Middlebury College 1924
- Litt. D. Yale 1924
- Litt D. Bowdoin 1926
- Litt D. University of New Hampshire 1930
- L.H.D. Wesleyan 1931
- Litt. D. Columbia 1932
- L.H.D. Williams 1932
- Litt. D. Dartmouth 1933
- L.H.D. St. Lawrence University, 1936
- L.H.D. University of Pennsylvania 1936
- L.H.D. Bates, 1936
- Litt D. Harvard, 1937
- L.H.D. University of Colorado, 1939
- Litt. D. Princeton 1941
- Litt. D. Kenyon College, 1945
- LL. D. Univ of California, 1947
- Litt. D. Duke, 1948
- Litt. D. Amherst, 1948
- Litt. D. Colgate, 1950
- Litt. D. Marlboro 1950
- Litt. D. Univ. of Durham, England 1951
- Litt. D. Univ. of Massachusetts 1951
- Litt. D. Univ. of North Carolina, 1953
- LL. D. Univ. of Cincinnati, 1954
- LL. D., Dartmouth, 1955
- Litt. D. University of Rhode Island, 1955
- LL. D., Colby College, 1956
- Litt. D., Oxford Univ., Cambridge Univ., National University,
Ireland and Ohio State University, 1957
- L.H.D. Miami Univ., 1959
- Litt. D., Syracuse University, 1959
- Litt. D., Tufts University, 1959
- LL. D., University of Florida, 1960
- L.H.D., Hebrew Union College, 1960
- LL. D. University of Miami, 1961
- Litt. D., Windham College, 1961
- Litt. D., Boston University, 1961
- LL. D. University of Michigan, 1962
- L.H.D., University of Detroit, 1962